Breakthrough is a unique global human rights organization
that creates cutting-edge pop culture and innovative education to inspire new generations of leaders to act for change.
We work out of centers in India and the U.S. — the world’s largest democracies — to end violence against women and promote human rights.
We believe that human rights begin in our own hearts, homes, and actions.
We work to make human rights real and relevant to everyone,
no matter where or how they live.
We create innovative, relevant multimedia and pop culture that bring
human rights issues and values into the mainstream.
We inspire people to take bold action for social change –
among their own peers and in their own spheres.
We envision a world where all individuals and communities live with
dignity, equality and justice.
Our unique approach.
Human rights are universal and fundamental. More than a matter of oppression in far-off lands, they are intrinsic to the way we treat each other in our communities, in our families, and in our homes. For this reason, we use pop culture, multimedia, community engagement, and leadership training to reach people where they are and ignite change in the world around them.
Breakthrough’s current primary focus is challenging violence against women everywhere and in all its forms, including domestic violence, early marriage, and sex-selective elimination. We also address these issues through the lenses of immigrant and immigrant women’s rights, racial justice, and sexuality and HIV/AIDS.
We use five strategies to transform hearts and minds and inspire people to act for change.
- We use media, arts, pop culture, and technology — music videos, video games, and more — to reach mass audiences where they are, challenge norms, and make human rights values and issues real and relevant.
- We train new generations of leaders in schools, neighborhoods, and civil society groups to ignite change in the world around them.
- We develop strategic, game-changing partnerships with communities, governments, businesses, and entertainment leaders to reach maximum scale and lasting impact.
- We cultivate grassroots community engagement to raise awareness and inspire action for local and global human rights issues.
- We measure our impact and share lessons learned in the broader field of innovations for social justice and human rights.
human rights start with you.
Breakthrough works through centers in India and the United States. All gifts are tax-deductible as allowed by law. Breakthrough is a charitable trust registered u/s 12(A) of the Income Tax Act 1961 in India and a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in the U.S.